upgrading with apt-get

Sturla Holm Hansen sturlahh at online.no
Sun Jan 4 14:43:42 UTC 2004

Hi all, my motherboard has a built in hpt374-raid controller, and I have
two disks running raid0.
I haven't been able to custom-compile a kernel to get this to work, so I
have downloaded a custom-kernel (2.4.20-8) from highpoint-tech.com to be
able to use the raid-controller. (This is not the point of this message,
but if anyone could point out how you do it....)
They don't have a kernel for Fedora yet or, more important,
pre-install-scripts for Fedora, but I wanted to upgrade anyhow.
I changed the sources-list for apt-get to point to a Fedora-tree and run
apt-get upgrade.
After removing some packages to get the upgrade to run and reinstalling
them later I had all packages (except the kernel of course) upgraded to
FC1-versions.
So now, as far as I can see, I'm running FC1 with my old kernel.
Works great actually, but here's my question:
Is there a big downside to this that I haven't spotted yet?
(Besides me running an older kernel that is)

Sturla

Ps. The download was 810MB...I don't wanna be on dialup anymore!!!