RedHat Upgrade?

Christian Reiss email at demonlord.de
Sun Jan 4 17:12:06 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I am a long time RedHat user (long live Haloween :P), and now I am
upgrading to Fedora Linux CR1. First impression: It looks great!
And yes, I did an upgrade from RH9->FLCR1.

The first problem came when I wanted to compile stuff, example:
-xchat cvs:
precompiler fails sanity check.
Same for gaim cvs. As i had all old compile tools installed (still
from RH9), i figured it would upgrade the stuff to newer versions.
It didnt. Only a forced install (again) from the rpms did solve
this.

-nvidia display driver
complains about the fact that the kernel is compiled with gcc 3.2.3,
but its using 3.3.2 - so i set the GCC enviroment variable thingy.
Worked, too. (But why not compile the kernel with 3.3? I heard from
people who did this successfully - any way to force kernel compilation
to use 3.3.2?)

-vmware-config.pl script
same as nvidia thingy, complains about different gcc stuff.

-Ever since i upgraded to fedora, my "RedHat"-Gnome-Menu no longer has
icons for lock screen & logout, i just see a [x]. Scary. Any clues?

Long story short: This is what bugs me:

-> Did i screw up my system with the upgrade (and more important,
    the gcc install stuff? How can i verify that i dont have multiple
    versions of -any- dev-tool on my box?)

-> Kernel & gcc & modules complaining about gcc missmatch. Workaround?

-> Icons in Gnome

-> What else is there to pay attention of regarding RH9->FLCR1 upgrade?

Thanks in advance,
But great work so far :P

-Christian Reiss.
--
Christian Reiss <email at demonlord.de>
demonserver.de

Key fingerprint = 2999 B7CD A218 06DF D658  5BE3 18B6 B232 02FF 71B2
Public Key can be obtained here: http://www.demonlord.de/pgp.txt