upgrading with apt-get

Sturla Holm Hansen sturlahh at online.no
Sun Jan 4 21:29:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-04 at 20:05, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am So, den 04.01.2004 schrieb Sturla Holm Hansen um 15:43:
> > Hi all, my motherboard has a built in hpt374-raid controller, and I have
> > two disks running raid0.
> > I haven't been able to custom-compile a kernel to get this to work, so I
> > have downloaded a custom-kernel (2.4.20-8) from highpoint-tech.com to be
> > able to use the raid-controller. (This is not the point of this message,
> > but if anyone could point out how you do it....)
> > They don't have a kernel for Fedora yet or, more important,
> > pre-install-scripts for Fedora, but I wanted to upgrade anyhow.
> > I changed the sources-list for apt-get to point to a Fedora-tree and run
> > apt-get upgrade.
> > After removing some packages to get the upgrade to run and reinstalling
> > them later I had all packages (except the kernel of course) upgraded to
> > FC1-versions.
> > So now, as far as I can see, I'm running FC1 with my old kernel.
> > Works great actually, but here's my question:
> > Is there a big downside to this that I haven't spotted yet?
> > (Besides me running an older kernel that is)
> >
> > Sturla
> >
> > Ps. The download was 810MB...I don't wanna be on dialup anymore!!!
>
> If you are running kernel 2.4.20-8, which seems to be the initial
> release kernel by Redhat 9, you may face many problems which were fixed
> by several bugfix kernel for Redhat 9. The most serious issue is a local
> root exploit to be able on your system. Even if you have no other users
> on your system, if anyone can get on your system by an exploit getting
> unpriviledged user rights he can then easily become root.
>
> Alexander

Yeah, I know about the security-downsides of not having an up-to-date
kernel, but I'm behind a firewall and on dialup, so that doesn't really
scare me much..
What i was wondering was more if this is an acceptable way of upgrading
the box, say if I first upgraded in this way and then custom-compiled a
kernel, would I then have a full-flegded FC1 install or would I miss
something vs. a new install?

Sturla