Bind v. TinyDNS

Mark Mielke mark at mark.mielke.cc
Mon Jan 5 01:10:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 10:33:07PM +0000, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> It's not about me, so allow me to rewrite your phrase into a more proper
> form:
> <<I consider it unfair that one feels content demanding a provider to
> give full re-distributions rights to code that one did not write, nor
> did contract to have written.>>
> So, you consider it unfair that people demand Free Software?

Yes.

You ask 'pretty please', or you write your own *better* version.

> > Fedora Core's goals cannot be illegal goals. If Fedora Core requires the
> > right to patch source code, and distribute the patched source code and
> > binary in full (as it seems to require out of necessity, more than as a
> > project goal), and the author does not grant this privelege, then Fedora
> > Core *shall not* include the software.
> As a community project, FC's goals can't, for sure, allow software that
> has conditions that are unfair over the community, like limiting the
> knowledge-pool.

FC, as a community, may not define 'fair' the same was as you, personally,
define 'fair'.

> > Or, you could keep shouting senseless demands on this mailing list,
> > a place where nobody can legally do anything about the situation...
> No, but it's a place where one can educate the community about Free
> Software alternatives over proprietary software, like DJB's.

You mean, attempt to influence others into avoiding software based on your
principles...

mark

--
mark at mielke.cc/markm at ncf.ca/markm at nortelnetworks.com __________________________