Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Mon Jan 5 02:20:41 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 08:06:53PM -0500, Mark Mielke wrote:
> Note that I, like a number of people, *prefer* to receive two copies.
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  right.....

> I will send you what you ask for. If you don't like what you are
> asking for, follow the protocol and set Mail-Followup-To:.

Mark - I've been on the internet for almost 25 years.  The proper
practice, when posting to a list has always been to reply to the list
unless the poster ASKS for a direct reply or asks to be replied to off
list. Sending the person two copies of the same email has never been
desirable.

You are doing the opposite.  Please wake up and learn the difference
between posting to the list and posting to both the list and the
individual.  The former is the acceptable default.

If I wanted some other behaviour, then I would set followup-to.
The list email comes to you from the list.  Please reply to the list.

It is quite easy to do this properly with an email client like mutt.
Please don't ignore the "Reply-To" header.  It is specifying what to do
quite properly.  It is specifying the acceptable default.

I believe the Reply-To header, especially in the absence of a
followup-to header does give you the proper instruction.

Thank you.

--
Jeff Kinz, Open-PC, Emergent Research,  Hudson, MA.
"jkinz at kinz.org" is copyright 2003.