udf cd rw

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Mon Jan 5 03:41:14 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-04 15:01, Maupertuis Jean whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>has somebody win to use cdrw with filesystem udf?
>The cd is well formatted because i can use it under windows.
>the unit under linux is scd0
>first i try to mount it: mount -t udf /dev/scd0 /mnt
>but it tell that /dev/scd0 is write protected
>i chmod 0666 /dev/scd0 same result
>i install (makedev) /dev/pktcdvd and try
>pktsetup /dev/pktcdvd0 /dev/scd0
>result:open packet device: No such device or address
>I don't know what to do now

Are you mounting the CD-RW in a drive that's capable of burning CD's?  I
don't have a burner on my Linux box, but certainly when I create a udf
CD on the Windows box I can mount it on the Linux box , and of course it
mounts as read only.

I can't see anything in the docs I have that says writing to a udf fs is
not supported, even if you have a CD drive which is capable of writing.
I do note that there is no mkfs.udf command in /sbin, which provides a
powerful clue that perhaps you can only write to such disks using a
burner program.

--
Fritz Whittington
Fear is the tax that conscience pays to guilt. (George Sewell)