laptop install without flopy disk

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon Jan 5 10:46:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 04:04, Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
> Maybe there are install methods which are more suitable for this kind of
> thing, and might make the difference. I don't know this. At present i'd
> only like to know if a system that already has a linux os up and running
> can boot a normal cd or hdd install without using floppy or cd boot.
> Only hdd.

Do you have GRUB on Mandrake?  LILO would work but I'm not sure of the
configuration.

Boot your Mandrake system and insert your Fedora Core 1 disk 1.  From
disk 1 copy images/pxeboot/initrd.img to /boot/initrd-fedora.img and
copy images/pxeboot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz-fedora

Then create a new grub entry something like this (hd0,0 is my /boot
partition):
title Fedora Installer
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-fedora
        initrd /initrd-fedora.img

Now reboot and select the "Fedora Installer" entry.  After the keyboard
and language setup it will ask for an installation method: cdrom, nfs,
ftp, etc.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/