Bind v. TinyDNS

lwj wayne at zkcelltest.com
Mon Jan 5 17:41:48 UTC 2004

I think this thread rules out world peace anytime soon. We can't even
discuss software without telling everyone else what they have to do :-(

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 09:02, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 16:43, lwj wrote:
> > Let's be fair, it's not unreasonable, you just don't like it. He wrote
> > the software so he should be able to do with it what he wants.
>
> I don't think anyone should exerce his power over other people.
>
> Choosing a proprietary license is in DJB's _legal_ right, granted by the
> government -- of course-- but I think that choosing a proprietary
> license is in reality forcing his power over users.
>
> Thus it is a "right" only on the legal sense since it is inhuman to use
> force (legal in this case) to exerce power of others.
>
> Rui

This statement is just a little over the top.

First, he is not forcing you to do anything and he is certainly NOT
exercising any control over you. He has given you a choice. He wrote the
software, it belongs to him. It is unreasonable to _expect_ him to give
it to you. There exists no right for anyone to benefit from the work of
others. That said, I believe the world is a better place when we help
each other out. Instead of an attitude of entitlement I think we should
have an attitude of gratitude when someone gives us something we did not
have to work for.

Second, kicking a dog in inhuman, torturing people because you don't
like them or want to control them is inhuman. Telling you that you can't
have something just because you want it may be annoying but it is
certainly NOT inhuman. If you have so sheltered from he world that you
thing software that is not Free is inhuman, then I really envy you (sort
of.)