ntpd Fails at Boot

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Mon Jan 5 17:42:30 UTC 2004

Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika Lauantai 03.
> Tammikuuta 2004 06:01):
>
>>On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Don wrote:
>>
>>>I don't know where it's logged, but make sure udp port 123
>>>is open so you get the reply from the ntp server.
>>
>>The Fedora init script for ntpd takes care of this.  You'll
>>see it when you stop or start the ntpd service.  Has since
>>RH8, IIRC.
>

> This is redundant in Fedora because it uses stateful filtering in
> the firewall.

Actually, it's not at all redundant for the common NTP setup where there
are 2-3 time servers and then all other systems are configured as
broadcast or multicast clients.

Check that the servers listed in your /etc/ntp/step-tickers file match
whatever servers you configured in /etc/ntp.conf. If your time is 'too
far off' ntpd will fail to synchronize (which is why one usually first
runs an 'ntpdate' to the servers listed in step-tickers).