IDE Hotswap bug

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Jan 5 21:23:23 UTC 2004

I use the "hdparm -b 0" and "hdparm -b 1" commands to facilitate
hotswap of IDE hard drives with Fedora Core 1 with the 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
kernel containing Alan Cox's hot swap additions.

The code seems to have a bug somewhere, either in the kernel or in hdparm;
the disk geometry tables are not getting rewritten by the "hdparm -b 1"
command.  I can work around it by using the sfdisk command then
control-C'ing out of it, but that seems dangerous.

Is anyone else using this new feature?  Is anyone else seeing the problem?
I will submit a bug to bugzilla when I localize this a bit better, but
other eyes might help.

More information (the start of a bugzilla submission) can be found at
http://www.keithl.com/idebug

Thanks,     Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom           keithl at ieee.org         Voice (503)-520-1993