Does anyone have a solution for mp3 playback skipping in xmms?

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 6 00:46:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:29:25PM -0500, Kwan Lowe wrote:
>Subject: RE: Does anyone have a solution for mp3 playback skipping in xmms?
>From: "Kwan Lowe" <kwan at digitalhermit.com>
>To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 12:29:25 -0500 (EST)
>

>> Thirdly (is that a word?) I have installed the xmms-mp3 package and can
>> playback mp3s. Lastly I may not have been clear enough, I can listen to
>> mp3s they just skip.
>
>You can try adjusting the buffer size of the audio output plugin. For example,
>if using ESD:
>>From XMMS, go to Preferences.
>Go to Audio I/O Plugins
>Under the Output Plugin, select your output then click configure.
>Go to the Buffering tab and increase the buffer size.

Yes, Buffers are always a good thing.

Check to see if it has flags like xmms....
   use_realtime=FALSE
Realtime may require suid root but it can clear up contention for
cycles as long as realtime is not misused by other stuff.  Also turn
off nifty eyecandy graphics.

BE WARNED: that realtime priority is run with root privileges and
while usefull can lock up the machine.  Consider that the window
system and the shell must run too.  If you do not have enough spare
cycles realtime is very bad.  See the man pages for: nice, renice,
getpriority(2), setpriority(2).

It is commonly better to push some of the contention from long running
tasks down rather than raise one special process to godlike status.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net