Traceroute response endless?

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jan 6 01:14:14 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 06.01.2004 schrieb John Maxwell um 01:26:
> Forgive me if this is obvious or has been covered, but I'm puzzled.
>
> I recently upgraded a webserver to FC1... it's a simple athlon with an
> onboard eth0. I have a static IP address and very little running (just
> sshd, httpd, and sendmail). When I traceroute to this machine, I get an
> endlessly repeating last hop (when I run traceroute from OS X/bsd) or a
> !<10> diagnostic on the last one (when I run it from an RH8 machine).

The last hop is your machine or the one before (typically the
router/switch of the provider)?

> As far as I can tell from preliminary reading, this indicates a kernel
> bug, but I'm up2dated to the latest 2.4.22.

If above you ment last hop as your station, then do you have defined any
iptables rules for icmp handling?

> Everything's working fine, but these traceroute results are worrying me
> a little. Any insights?
>

>   - John Maxwell
>     jmax at sfu.ca

On my Fedora Core 1 installations I can not agree such traceroute
behaviour.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany