How to kill a dir? (fixed)

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Tue Jan 6 01:41:46 UTC 2004

WipeOut wrote:

> Thanks to everyone for your help..
>
> I could not work out how to umount / so I could run fsck(as was
> suggested)..
>
> So I just switched off the PC (not very elegant, I am sure there must
> be a better and safer way) then when it started and was mounting the
> drive it asked to do a full check to which I said yes.. It found
> errors and I then entered the password for root to get into
> maintainance mode and ran "fsck", this found illegal filenames to
> files that were not visable using any "ls" switches that I could
> find.. it then repaired the illegal filenames and then I was able to
> kill the directory..
>
> Lets hope I never have that again..
>
> Thanks again..
>
> Later..

Wipeout,

instead of switching off your pc , here's another solution: use your
fedora CD/boot disk to boot the machine in rescue mode (linux rescue) .
Then , after answering all the questions , you'll be dropped to a
shell.. Then you can type "mount" to see all mounted devices and umount
those that you need to fsck.. then , you can run fsck safely.. (better
than doing a hard reboot)...

Pedro Macedo