ownership / permissions on a fat32 drive

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Tue Jan 6 02:20:24 UTC 2004

Man, I'm confused.

I have a fat32 partition that I use to share info between my Win2k and FC1
installations on one machine. I run MySQL to keep track of some work related
stats. I moved my MySQL data to the fat32 partition and pointed both the
Win2k and linux versions of MySQL to the right directory.

Things worked fine in Windows but not so well in linux. So I changed the owner
of the fat32 drive to "mysql". I did this with this line in fstab:

/dev/hda5		/mnt/win2k		vfat	defaults,users,exec,dev,suid,uid=27,gid=27	0 0

This seemed to make linux happy and now I can access the files and write new
data with MySQL in linux and Win2k.

BUT, now linux doesn't want me to write files to that partition as a regular
user. Only MySQL and root can write to it, apparently.

Any pointers on somewhere I can read some basics that will teach me what I
*SHOULD* be doing regarding permissions/ownership on that partition? If
someone else owns it, MySQL can't write to it. If MySQL owns it, I have to
run su or log in as root to write to it. Can't we all just get along?!?