Driverloader

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Tue Jan 6 03:38:59 UTC 2004

I'm not purist. I still use XP to play Games. (Once in a blue
moon, since I;m not really into games) :)
I just rather not pay USD20 for something which INTEL owes US.

> of Driverloader.  I'll keep looking at ndiswrapper, and some
> day it will make sense to me.  In the mantime, I prefer to be able to
> move around my house with the laptop and not be tied to a wire.  ;-)
>
> Hey, I'm open to anyone willing to lead me by the hand
> through the use of ndiswrapper

<Ripped from someone's posting to this list>
[jdoe at house jdoe]$ mkdir cvs
[jdoe at house jdoe]$ cd cvs
[jdoe at house jdoe]$ export
CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/ndiswrapper
[jdoe at house jdoe]$ cvs login
[jdoe at house jdoe]$ cvs -z3 co ndiswrapper
[jdoe at house jdoe]$ cd ndiswrapper
[jdoe at house jdoe]$ ./install.sh
<End of Ripped from someone's posting to this list>

(note : The actual login sequence may be a bit different. I suggest you
go to sourceforge and read up)

Note : I'm using the ACER travelmate Drivers (go to ndiswrapper's
sourceforge
list to get the URL. I can't help you there. I'm not in front of my laptop
and I
have no I-net access)

Once you get ndiswrapper downloaded and the acer drivers (they work for me)
you get the w70n51.sys and w70n51.inf and copy them to /lib/windriver/

(make sure centrino-wifi is turned on in bios), do a ./install.sh and you
will
be guided through the steps.

Once that ends, I guess you'll have a working ndiswrapper. (Be sure to
unload
& make sure it's unloaded Driverloader by doing a lsmod (and rmmod
driverloader or
whatever the driver is called) I hear that there might be some conflicts.

I'm sure that install.sh really does everything but if it does not..
try

insmod ndiswrapper
lsmod | grep ndiswrapper

should yield you
ndiswrapper 0 [unused]

then try loading up the device

loadndiswrapper 8086 1043 /lib/windrivers/w70n51.sys
/lib/windrivers/w70n51.inf

iwconfig should list your wireless device.

you should know the rest..