sticky bit?

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Jan 6 05:01:02 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-05 20:04, Peter Kiem whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

>>Right! There it is! I was trying to set it and expecting to see that 't'
>>but
>>could not make it happen to a file.
>>

>I think under Linux you can only do it to a directory not files.
>

>>(Don't worry, this is just a home machine and I'm just playing. There is
>>nothing of value on the system yet. I may completely reinstall once I get
>>the
>>hang of things.)
>>

>Been there, done that :)

Please go back there and do a "man chmod", which will show you two very
clear paragraphs about the sticky bit on files and directories,
answering all your questions.

--
Fritz Whittington
He not busy being born is busy dying. (Bob Dylan)