laptop install without flopy disk

Arindam Dey adey at komnas.com
Tue Jan 6 07:37:29 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 18:46, David L Norris wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 04:04, Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
> > Maybe there are install methods which are more suitable for this kind of
> > thing, and might make the difference. I don't know this. At present i'd
> > only like to know if a system that already has a linux os up and running
> > can boot a normal cd or hdd install without using floppy or cd boot.
> > Only hdd.
>
> Do you have GRUB on Mandrake?  LILO would work but I'm not sure of the
> configuration.
>
> Boot your Mandrake system and insert your Fedora Core 1 disk 1.  From
> disk 1 copy images/pxeboot/initrd.img to /boot/initrd-fedora.img and
> copy images/pxeboot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz-fedora
>
> Then create a new grub entry something like this (hd0,0 is my /boot
> partition):
> title Fedora Installer
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-fedora
>         initrd /initrd-fedora.img
>
> Now reboot and select the "Fedora Installer" entry.  After the keyboard
> and language setup it will ask for an installation method: cdrom, nfs,
> ftp, etc.

Capital Idea. Never thought of this coz never needed it.

Just out of curiosity how come nobody suggested network boot or did I
miss a few posts? Given a decent network card pxe boot should be able to
boot up and install provided a properly configured dhcp server is
available on the network without the aid of a floppy or cd.

--
Arindam Dey

The mind is not a vessel to be
filled but a fire to be kindled.

GPG FPR: B8E3 219E F129 F970 F4A7  BC50 9636 504A BEDF 5739