cups shares

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Jan 6 19:16:28 UTC 2004

earthworm at earthworm.no-ip.com wrote:
> I brought this up on #fedora no avail, so here goes ...
>
> I setup my printer for sharing on a Fedora Core 1 machine, I can print
> from there fine. The firewall is turned off, and the printer is set to be
> shared to all hosts.
>
> Yet ... over on my Redhat 9 server, the printer is detected, set as
> default etc, but any attempt to print to it just stalls, and stalls, and
> stalls. The document sits in the notification area print queue ad
> infinitum (can i spell a latin word, probably not).
>
> What might be up, i've mucked about with the settings no end and nothing
> seems to work (including messing around with the cupsd.conf file).
>
> I had the same thing on my Redhat 9 laptop a while back, so its obviously
> a reocurring issue, that hopefully has a simple solution.

FWIW, I configure my CUPS clients (as opposed to the server) thusly:

In /etc/cups/client.conf:
ServerName print-server.your.domain.here

I then turn OFF cupsd on the client completely:
# service cups stop
# chkconfig cups off

My server's cupsd.conf is almost entirely stock. It pretty much just has:
Servername print-server.your.domain.here
ServerAdmin root at your.domain.here
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 10.0.0.0/16
</Location>

Try running 'tcpdump host redhat9 and port ipp' on the print server to
see if the client is actually contacting the server properly.