2 kernels to be updated? what up wit dat? :)

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 7 06:25:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 04:17:42PM -0500, Kevin Hanser wrote:
> The following is a list of outdated packages on your system:
>
> Name                                     Version         Release
> -----
> bash                                     2.05b           34
> kernel                                   2.4.22          1.2135.nptl
> kernel                                   2.4.22          1.2138.nptl
>
> It seemed a little strange to me that it's telling me that there's 2
> kernels that are the latest release...  Obviously, I'm going to go ahead
> and d/l and install the 2138 kernel, but I thought this behaviour was a
> little odd, and you might want to know.

I have seen this as well and I believe it is
because I download both source and binary.

So, check for kernel and kernel source rpms.
  $ rpm -qa | grep kernel
  kernel-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
  kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.101.fedora
  kernel-2.4.22-1.2129.nptl
  kernel-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl
  kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl

The source may be uninstalled but downloaded because
of a flag in  /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date
  retrieveSource[comment]=Retrieve source RPM along with binary package
  retrieveSource=1

I noted that the rpms have names that look like:
   /var/spool/up2date/kernel-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl.athlon.rpm
   /var/spool/up2date/kernel-2.4.22-1.2135.nptl.src.rpm
So in my case the RPMs have the same name module athlon/src and I
suspect that the parser in up2date does not make the difference clear.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net