why is /etc/init.d/pcmcia still "broken"?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 7 09:33:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> On Tuesday 06 January 2004 17:24, Daniel Roesen wrote:
>
> > >   having just built a new 2.4.22-2135 kernel under a new install of FC1,
> > > i was puzzled as to why my linksys pcmcia wireless card didn't come up at
> > > boot time.  or any pcmcia functionality, for that matter.  having been
> > > down this road before with the 2.5/2.6 kernels, i quickly tracked it down
> > > to the same old problem with the /etc/init.d/pcmcia file.
>
> I agree.
> Every time I compile a new 2.4 kernel I have to
> cd /lib/modules/2.4.xy
> mv pcmcia pcmcia.bak

as i pointed out, rather than doing that, just change those three lines in
/etc/init.d/pcmcia and remove the offending ".o" suffixes.  in any case,
given that this issue has been bugzilla'ed in the distant past, is there
any reason that it's *still* there?  it really does represent an annoying
"gotcha" since it means that a new install of FC1 will work just fine but,
at the very least, your PCMCIA-based networking will fail the very first
time you build a new kernel.  and those are the kinds of bugs that are
devilishly hard to track down, especially for people who might be building
their first kernels.

rday