2 kernels to be updated? what up wit dat? :)

VJ vj at vijayg.homelinux.net
Wed Jan 7 10:08:52 UTC 2004

The appearance of two kernels may be explained as following(just a guess
work cos I do not know how up2date prepares the list after downloading
headers)

1)    The mirror you are using for updates does not remove old rpms(in this
case the kernel rpms), so the RPMs and their corresponding headers stay
there always even if newer versions appear later on.
2)    The up2date program downloads the headers to show the information
about outdates packages but does not look into the fact that there may be
rpms of multiple versions of the same package(in this case the kernel). So,
to up2date, both the packages seem different, ideally though, it should
prepeare the list of only the latest version RPMs even if multiple version
RPMs exist.

Just to prove my theory, can you tell me if it downloaded both the kernels
actually or just the latest one?

VJ