cups - configuration is destroyed by printconf

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Jan 7 15:30:12 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 07.01.2004 schrieb Thomas Munck Steenholdt um 15:53:
> Hi!
>
> I was wondering if anyone knew how to make changes to the cups
> configuration that would stick over a redhat-config-printer session???
>
> stuff like allowing access to my printers from somewhere no 127.0.0.1
> disappears...
>
> If I edit the cupsd.conf file and put something in it near the top
> like:
>
> - 8< ----------
> # Manual changes made by Donald Duck
> Listen 127.0.0.1:631
> Listen 10.11.12.13:631
> - >8 ----------
>
> and run the redhat-config-printer tool, the Listen lines disappears
> from the conf file but the comment stays put!
>
> This is kinda unusable in my oppinion, so unless i'm missing something
> or just doing it the wrong way, I may file a bugreport!
>
> Any comments on this???
>
> Thomas

I can not speak specific for the redhat-config-printer tool, but what
you describe sounds like all such GUI tools work: they eat the default
config file and the one they did generate their own and if you give them
hand edited configuration files they do not expect they will delete
parts they would like to handle different. So the general advice with
such tools is always: either use the tool or edit by hand.

Alexander

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999