fsck - still can't fix boot failure

robin laing robin.laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jan 7 19:57:29 UTC 2004

Barry Yu wrote:

> I tried umount the partition /dev/hda4 (where my fc1 installed),
> and then I issued "fsck /dev/hda4" - The program started working,
> finally I was dropped back into the shall.
> And I reboot. After that fc1 started and still fail to boot but just
> dropped me into the shell as first time without any fixing . Seems
> fsck can't help this time ( even when I issue fsck -A , of course
> umount the /dev/hda4 first ).
> Anyone can help further?
>

> barryyupuilee at netscape.net wrote:
>
>> sorry for my typo, and I input "fsck -A /dev/hda4 " (hda4 is where I
>> installed fc1)
>> The system displayed version of fsck 1.34, and a WARNING !!! Running
>> this may cause damage etc, Do you want to continue? and I enter Y
>> The proccess took place and finally displayed "Warning
>> .........fsck.ext2 for device LABEL=HOME exited with signal 11"
>> and I was dropped into the shell again.
>> I reboot the system and still got dropped into the shell again! seems
>> fsck can't fix my boot failure, does it mean I have to install from
>> scratch? or any other alternative to fix the boot failure?
>>

>> elwoo at videotron.ca wrote:

I have an idea.

See if there is a /dev/hda5 with your fc1 on it.

When I installed RH 8 on a machine /dev/hda4 is a generic mount for
extended partitions and I ended up with /dev/hda5 as the mount device
instead of /dev/hda4.  I don't know if this is the same problem as your
but it may be worth looking at.