Package Management

David Golden dg-junk at hyperbolic.net
Wed Jan 7 21:38:42 UTC 2004

At 1/7/2004 03:40 PM, Ben Davis wrote:
>Since I'm no fan of redhat-config-packages, and I prefer to do stuff with
>rpm from the commandline anyways, I've found a roundabout way of using
>config-packages to give me a list of 'to-install' packages, and then
>cut-n-paste into a script... rh-config-packages sorts out the
>dependencies, but I have other scripts that will do this... all I really
>want to have is the packages list of old. I installed the KDE 'bits' my
>way, now I need development packages on the system, and this will require
>a lot of time, just to get the list of pkgs installed under 'Development
>Tools' 'X Software Devel' etc.

I had similar issues with an upgrade.  redhat-config-packages and up2date
were both unreliable for me.  I found yum to be much better than either and
switched to it exclusively.  The lack of a front end is a bit challenging,
but among other things, I wrote a perl script to screen-scrape yum's
repository and installed file lists and give me a nicely grouped listing of
what's on the system.

A short description of the script is posted at
http://www.dagolden.com/cgi-bin/main/index.cgi?page_id=YumGroupsScript

You can get the script itself at
http://www.dagolden.com/files/scripts/yumgroups

No warranties, of course! YMMV.