Updating Fedora with Up2date and Yum.

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 8 01:53:05 UTC 2004

DaemonLabs.com Support (MLM) said:
> Hi everyone,
>
> new to the list, so i may have missed the storm, but am i the only one
> here,
> or is updating a little hard the last days/weeks?? I get all kinds of
> chokes, lags and corruption messages when updating through yum and up2date
> -
> server overload?

As previously mentioned, the archives are your friend.

> Also, does up2date stop working as even with entitlements
> roughly 30 days after the install apparently the base channel was
> disabled,
> and not be changed no more.

Fedora's version of up2date doesn't use RHN, so the concept of
entitlements doesn't mean anything.  By default it now uses yum
repositories (which can be changed to mirrors to fix the first part of
your message).

The current concept of "channels" are just different repositories.

If you have mistakenly tried to configure up2date to use RHN, you need to
edit the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file and put a "#" back in front of
the "up2date default" line.

--
William Hooper