Shutdown problem with 2.4.22-1.2140

Lee-Win Tai holycrap at cavtel.net
Thu Jan 8 05:00:52 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 11:38:30PM -0500, Jed wrote:
> I just installed the 2.4.22-1.2140 kernel update.  Now when I issue
> '/sbin/shutdown now' the system goes into single user mode and I get a
> sh prompt instead of the system shutting down.  On the other hand just
> typing 'reboot' works fine.

If I'm not mistaken, this is working as designed.

>From 'man shutdown':

...runlevel 1 is used to put to system into a state where administrative
tasks  can  be performed;  this  is  the default if neither the -h or
-r flag is given to shutdown.

In other words, if you want to reboot the machine, you need to run
'/sbin/shutdown -r now' instead of '/sbin/shutdown now' which just goes
to runlevel 1 (as you've noticed).