Fedora News Updates #1

Vincent pros-n-cons at bak.rr.com
Thu Jan 8 09:44:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:32:41 -0800
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 09:25, Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
 Unfortunately, the only
> way around using root for "rpmbuild", as far as I can tell, is to do
> "chmod -R user:user /usr/src".  Which I do myself, actually, but I am
> not sure of all the implications.

There is a package called fedora-rpmdevtools in fedora.us stable (i think)
it is a collection of the following scripts:

fedora-buildrpmtree    fedora-newrpmspec      fedora-rpmvercmp
fedora-installdevkeys  fedora-pkgannfmt       fedora-unrpm
fedora-kmodhelper      fedora-rmdevelrpms     fedora-wipebuildtree
fedora-md5             fedora-rpmchecksig

Pretty self explanatory. Just create a new user like 'fedora' and run fedora-buildrpmtree and it will make a ~/rpmbuild folder with SPECS/SOURCE/, etc.

newrpmspec is pretty handy to generate a new spec file and whipebuiltree will clean out the whole directory.

hope that helps