Errors / help editing menus in Fedora

Davor Herga davor.herga at guest.arnes.si
Thu Jan 8 09:10:11 UTC 2004

> Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:42:37 -0800
> From: "Adam L. Klein" <alklein at integraonline.com>
> To: Fedora-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Errors / help editing menus in Fedora

Hi!

I had the same problem, and I got the solution from Michael Knepher.
Here it is:

---------------------------------
Nautilus is the intended tool for editing menus in gnome, but it's
turned off by default. To enable menu editing with nautilus, go to
/etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules and replace default-modules.conf with
default-modules.conf.with-menu-editing.

Then, as a normal user, go to start-here:/// in nautilus, and start
moving/adding program launchers. You can also edit the menu from the
menu: right-click on a menu item and choose from the various options
found there.

I'm not sure what bugs remain to be ironed out for it be turned on by
default, but it seems to work well enough on my system.

--------------------------------

It is also worth mentioning, that I lost the start-here:///,
so I have to add and remove items in the menu.

Here is also link about this, which I got from Paul Vandenberg:

----------------------

Hi,

See this page, near the bottom, for an explanation of how to turn on
menu editing in GNOME. The volders such as start-here:/// don't work
with menu editing turned on. I guess that's why Red Hat turned it off
by default. I use the menu for everything, so it doesn't bother me. To
do actual changes, you right click on the menu item to be changed.

http://people.ecsc.co.uk/~matt/repository.html

ENjoY!

Davor.