nondestructive partition manager

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 8 13:33:52 UTC 2004

Trevor Smith said:
> On January 7, 2004 11:29 pm, David L Norris wrote:
>> On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 11:14, Trevor Smith wrote:
>> > They differ? Screw it, I think I'll just wipe FC1, use Partition Magic
>> > resize my Windows partitions and reinstall Linux.
>>
>> Why wipe Fedora?  If you have Partition Magic it will resize EXT2/3
>> formatted partitions just as well as FAT and NTFS.
>
> I have Partition Magic 6 and it will not resize ext2/3. Maybe it's
> supposed
> to, but it does not do so on my system.

Partition Magic has supported ext2 since version 4:
http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id4131.cfm

I've personally used v4 and it works.

You can use the older versions on ext3 by temporarily removing the journal:
http://www.powerquest.com/support/primus/id4131.cfm

> Hmm... Of course, whenever I use Partition Magic, I have to boot to DOS
> and
> run it since Windows locks all my windows partitions.

Makes sense.  You can't run fsck on a mounted partition, either.  The
newer "Windows" versions just use a "virtual floppy" that runs PM before
the OS boots.

--
William Hooper