Eclipse

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Thu Jan 8 18:38:08 UTC 2004

David A. Frantz wrote:

>Hi All;
>
>I'm wondering if anybody has a line on an rpm with a compiled version of
>eclipse that is built for FC1?    What I'm looking for is the version of
>eclipse compiled with gjc the gnu java compiler.
>
>I'm not even sure if this is possible with the version of gcc shipped
>with FC1.   Information on building eclipse with gcc is hard to come by
>and I lost track of one web site that had the info.
>
>As an aside if anybody has any experience with the native version of
>eclipse, could you please comment on its speed and responsiveness.    I
>do have to wonder if Java will ever have an agreeable performance.
>
>Thanks
>Dave

I had Eclipse 3 running under FC1 without having to build it myself (why
would you want to).  This was running using the Sun 1.4 JDK.  However
I've dropped it in favour of IBM's WSAD V5.1 which has more function
that I need already built in.

Running Eclipse,  and even more so for WSAD requires a lot of memory (I
have 1G on my laptop for it) so that it does not swap.  I find that both
take some time to load but once loaded the performance is acceptable.

It is unlikely that Java will have the same quick load times as a small
C++ program but once the JVM is running performance should be good
enough on most machines (i.e., Windows WSAD V4 on a PII 400 with 784M is
OK for most operations).

Mike