up2date issues resolved

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Thu Jan 8 21:35:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 20:05, fed ora wrote:
> Fedora Core 1 Mirror - Up2date
> (2004, January 3)

> Solution: Use local mirror (i.e., whichever is closest
> to you).
>
> Search http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html
> or Google for others - select appropriate address as
> above

	In order to fix this permanently, perhaps the first time the applet is
run, a pop-up, or (better) a wizard to explain (or do) these actions
might be possible.

	I know that most of us here can, or have figured it out, but I still
have a couple of questions.

1) What's the difference between a yum repo, an apt-get repo and a "dir"
repo?

2) if any of these can be used, do we need to point to a different
directory?

	My worry was finding the proper directory when I set-up my sources
file, though I got it right first time.   Perhaps if these were listed
in the release notes as the repository right down to the dir with
instructions to cut and paste into the sources file this would be easy
enough?