kernel-source - could we patch instead?

Jack Spaar jspaar at myrealbox.com
Thu Jan 8 22:12:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 12:58:41 -0800, Tom Mitchell wrote:

>> One of the big issues of course is that a [large] number of people will
>> install the kernel-source RPM so they can make changes/patches, e.g. to
>> get the latest XYZ driver
>
> This includes all the nVidia folks and they seem to have enough
> trouble as it is.

I suspect that a well-done patch could update just as
automatically as installing a full kernel-source rpm,
but with a *much* smaller download.  Leaving us nVidia
folk with exactly the same driver update task either
way.

[As an aside, the nVidia problem is bound to improve.
People are already providing non-official nvidia rpms,
and someone will eventually submit Fedora-specific
changes to the nvidia driver maintainer, who seems eager
enough to accept them.  The GLX dependency issue, for one,
could disappear soon.  If you meant chipsets rather than
video cards, I'm not familiar with the nForce situation.]

> It might be valuable to put the delta patch out for 48 hours
> then put the full source RPM on line when the bandwidth demand
> falls off.

It would be ideal to allow either path (remember the poor
dial-up users).  I don't know enough about rpm, yum, etc.
to know if this is feasible without splitting repositories
into patch/non-patch.

If I had appropriate experience I'd volunteer to work on
this.  For now, I can only volunteer to test.

--Jack