Lexar JumpDrive mount problem

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Thu Jan 8 23:23:14 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-07 23:20, Ryan Sather whipped out a trusty #2 pencil
and scribbled:

> I'm having problems with a Lexar JumpDrive. When I plug it in, it
> creates an entry is fstab like this:
> /dev/sda      /mnt/diskonkey     auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
> When I try and mount it using the Disks menu from the Gnome desktop, I
> get:
>
> Nautilus was unable to mount the selected volume.
> and
> mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified
>
> If I mount it manually using :
> mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/diskonkey
> it works fine
>
> If it makes any difference, the command:
> usbmodules --device /proc/bus/usb/001/008
> gives me:
> usb-storage
>
> How can I change the device and mountpoint that it defaults to?
>
> ----
> Ryan

I note that the entry in fstab seems incorrect.  It should have
/dev/sda1 instead of /dev/sda.  This might be caused by a partition
table that is not quite what is expected.  What do you get from the command:
fdisk -l /dev/sda

If you can back up the contents, then try doing a mkfs -t vfat /dev/sda1
on it (while unmounted).  This should fix up the partition table if
that's what is causing the problem.

You might put a regular entry for /dev/sda1 (without the "kudzu" parm)
into fstab.  This entry should survive unplugging it.  If you then edit
this entry to change auto to vfat, then it should mount from the Disks
menu.

--
Fritz Whittington
Let each man exercise the art he knows. (Aristophanes, Wasps, 422 B.C.)