computation-friendly kernels

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Jan 8 23:46:59 UTC 2004

Dave Jones wrote:
> How much RAM exactly ? It's possible the VM changes that went into
> 2.4.23 may help on big boxes. It is quite a radical amount of change
> however (which is why it never made it into FC1 at all)

It's "only" 2GB of RAM, so it shouldn't involve the newer
'big-big-bigmem' support code.

>> > RHEL and Fedora have a completely different VM.
>>Ah, then the kernel differences are significant enough not to be easily
>>enumerated or replaced. How do their VMs compare to 2.6?
>
> FC1 - Stock 2.4 VM from 2.4.22 (Before the recent large -aa merge)
> Taroon - Rik van Riel's rmap vm.
> 2.6 - Completely different again, but with some elements of rmap vm
> (Ie the actual reverse mappings part).

Thanks! That's extremely useful. Since 2.6 will eventually be making it
into my favorite distributions, I'll see if I can get one installed for
comparative testing.

Thanks again for the time and answers.
I'll try to continue to help others in return.