eth1 is dead

Iain Buchanan iain at pcorp.com.au
Thu Jan 8 23:47:17 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 07:51, Michael Weber wrote:
[snip]
> I can ping the address just fine, but I cannot ping anything out of
> that interface.  The other interface is fully operational.  If I ping
> the interface from a known functional system, I get no returns.  Not
> even an ARP response.
[snip]
> [root at fw-4 root]# ping 172.16.30.32
> PING 172.16.30.32 (172.16.30.32) 56(84) bytes of data.
> >From 172.16.30.25 icmp_seq=0 Destination Host Unreachable
> >From 172.16.30.25 icmp_seq=1 Destination Host Unreachable
> >From 172.16.30.25 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable

this doesn't look like you can ping the address just fine... did I miss
something?  You mean from the machine with 2 nics you can ping both of
them, but from another machine you can't?

How about some setup details.  Switch? hub? crossover cables?  If you're
using a switch with lights, are they all showing a link status?  What ip
address is the other machine you're trying from - 172.16.30.25?  And to
ask the obvious (in my experience this is the biggest cause of problems)
are the cables and connections ok?  Can you prove it? (eg, "I just
bought it" isn't good enough!)

What happens when you disable eth0, and 'ping -b 172.16.0.255'?

What happens when you put a crossover cable between the two nics, put
their ip addresses on the same subnet, and
'ping -I <address1> <address2>'?

Hope this gives you some ideas to chase,
--
Iain Buchanan <iain at pcorp.nospam.com.au>

Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be
yours too."
		-- Dave Haynie