modprobe problems

Chris Sparks mrada at catalina-inter.net
Fri Jan 9 00:47:44 UTC 2004

>That's the port for updating the CPU microcode.  I get this message on my
>old P166, and I assume it's because it doesn't have updatable microcode.

I have a Celeron 800 MHZ in there so I wouldn't understand why I'd get
this.  Some time in the past I
didn't see this error.  It is a recent occurence.

>>Microcode update.
>>I also get a bunch of Can't locate module block-major-67-71 and 128-135
>>
>>Any clues to why I get this?
>>

>The former is a SCSI disk and the latter is a PTY.  Not sure why they are
>turning up, but the messages might well be benign.

I do have an old NCR SCSI controller with a DVD-RAM device.

>>Also my mouse stopped working and kudzu doesn't seem to want it to come
>>back.
>>
>>Any clues on that one?
>>

>Nope.  What kind of mouse, and what's in /etc/sysconfig/mouse?  Does it

It is a 3 button PS-2 mouse (generic) and this is what
/etc/sysconfig/mouse says.  It doesn't now seem
to work with X even though it did before.  gpm is running.  The XFConfig
has the same information
as was in the other file.  Same device, identification.

In the XFree86.0.log is says it is loading module "mouse"
from /usr/X11R6/lib/moudles/input/mouse_drv.o
something compiled for 4.3.0, module version 1.0.0 XFree86 Input driver,
version 0.4
The other log file doesn't have anything meaningful, AFAICT.

Chris