Backup program?

jlrcon at netzero.com jlrcon at netzero.com
Fri Jan 9 14:16:15 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik P. Olsen" <erik at epo.dk>
To: "Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 6:47 PM
Subject: Backup program?

> I am new to Red Hat/Fedora and am looking for a backup/restore program for
> Linux which will work with my Sony SDT-9000 DDS Tape Drive. I can't find
it
> among the packages on either Red Hat or Fedora. I wonder if such a program
at
> all exits for the Linux platform.
>
> I would appreciate very much if perhaps someone on this list could explain
> where to find that sort of programs.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Erik P. Olsen
>
> Regards,
> Erik P. Olsen

Erick
I recommend the old way of tar
Tar has been around for a long time and just basically works.  Your can set
it up to run in the background at night
and which nights of the week you want to run.

tar cvf /dev/st0 /*    will backup complete system to scsi dat tape drive
tar xvf /dev/st0    will restore
This is not gui, but it will run with no one logged in.