Blank password works for root

Bill Beeman bbeeman at beemangroup.com
Fri Jan 9 19:36:24 UTC 2004

Thanks for the info...I suspect that myself, but have not turned up the
root cause.

I don't have a great deal of software on this machine yet, so I think
I'm about to flush it and reinstall clean to see what happens.

If anyone else has any ideas, I'm open: to recap, a null password works
for root on this machine, whether from the console, a ssh session, or an
X session.  The same when attempting to su...either the root password or
a null password works.

This is not the case with a normal user password.  I've run
chkrootkit-0.43, and it comes up clean.

Ideas?

Bill