Blank password works for root

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Fri Jan 9 19:43:39 UTC 2004

Bill Beeman wrote:
> If anyone else has any ideas, I'm open: to recap, a null password works
> for root on this machine, whether from the console, a ssh session, or an
> X session.  The same when attempting to su...either the root password or
> a null password works.
>
> This is not the case with a normal user password.  I've run
> chkrootkit-0.43, and it comes up clean.
>
> Ideas?

To reiterate my working theory, I think your root user actually has a
null password, either in the system files or in a remote authentication
store (like LDAP).

The complete 'auth' contents of your system-auth, plus the root entry
from /etc/shadow (obfuscate is desired) would help our debugging efforts.