Kernel 2.6 panic

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Fri Jan 9 20:24:00 UTC 2004

Sorry if anyone has already mentioned this, since I am joining this
thread halfway in.

Have you made sure that you are using all of the latest userland kernel
utilities.

 From what I understand the new kernel module utilities are backward
compatable with 2.4 kernels.

The problem may be that if you have both /etc/modules.conf and
/etc/modprobe.conf the kernel module utilities may be getting confused.

I started to look into setting up a 2.6 kernel back when it was first
released and there were a lot of packages that had to be updated in
order for the 2.6 kernel to operate properly, and some of them may have
had to do with networking. Christmas happened, and I have not had a
chance to continue my investgation of the updates required since then.

I have hardware that I can't use because the patches won't apply to the
RH 2.4 kernel. :-(