2.6 kernel headers

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Fri Jan 9 20:37:10 UTC 2004

Ryan Quinn wrote:

> I've got the kernel-source installed but the vmware config script does
> the following:
>
> ---
> None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your
> running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon
> module for
> your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)?
> [yes]
>
> Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.
>
> What is the location of the directory of C header files that match
> your running
> kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-2.6.0-1.118/include
>
> The path "/usr/src/linux-2.6.0-1.118/include" is an existing
> directory, but it
> does not contain at least one of these directories "linux", "asm",
> "net" as
> expected.
> ---
>
> so the question is.. where do i point vmware-config.pl so it can find
> the headers?

Ryan,
there a few gotchas involved in putting vmware to run on a 2.6 kernel.
It involves making changes to the vmware kernel modules code , because
some system structs have changed..  On
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1804 there's a guide on how to make
vmware run on 2.6... Also , I suggest you to run dmesg |grep gcc and
check the version of gcc used to compile your kernel. If it is gcc 3.2.3
, then you'll need to do "export CC=gcc32" before configuring vmware.
I just installed the kernel-source for 2.6.1-1.126 and in
/usr/src/linux-2.6.1-1.126 , there's the net dir .....

Hope this can help you..

Pedro Macedo