up2date vs. yum

Clifford Snow glass-art at comcast.net
Fri Jan 9 23:49:33 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 14:44, Tom Mitchell wrote:
<snip>
> It turns out that up2date understands the protocol that yum uses.  It
> can use yum repositories.  The config line format is a little
> different.
>
> So far I have found that the up2date GUI hides a number of errors that
> it cannot recover from yet.  They share a lot of python source code so
> eventually there will be no difference of value between the two in
> terms of reliability.
You know, I knew that, but your message caused me to look at my sources
file and add mirrors to the list so if one does work, it switches to a
secondary.  Thanks

eg:
yum updates-release http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/1/i38
http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/fedora/fedora/fedora/1/i386/yum/updates

Disclaimer  - I haven't had an opportunity to test this out since my
system is fully updates.

--
Clifford Snow