how to update

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Sat Jan 10 02:36:55 UTC 2004

ethan zimmerman wrote:
> Is there an official/central update server for FC? Or are we just
> supposed to grab the latest packages from various community
> repositories?

AFAIK, the official repository is located at:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/

with the core distribution in:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/1/i386/

and official updates in:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/

it's strongly suggested, however, that you use one of the mirrors listed at:
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html

There's also 'fedora.us', which has a rather different organization (and
one that confuses the snot out of me, personally), where the updates
appear to all be under:
http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.updates/

mirrors of this at: http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraMirrorList

My question (in case anyone else here knows) is what are the
distinctions between these four directories, and who (if anyone) should
be using them?

RPMS.stable/ RPMS.testing/ RPMS.unstable/ RPMS.updates-testing/