Update patches versus full update RPM

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 10 02:58:42 UTC 2004

Leonard den Ottolander said:
> Hi William,
>
>> Problem being that downloading the reference RPMs and the patch would
>> probably _increase_ server load.
>
> The reference rpm comes from your installation CD's.

Please read the post I replied to.  The comment was something like "I
would use the space, or just use the additional bandwidth".

As a point of reference, two of the three Fedora machines I run don't have
a CD-Rom, and none of them were installed from CD media.

>> Of course doing an either/or would be an option, but what do you make
>> the
>> default?
>
> Just leave as is, and let people who need to save on bandwidth setup their
> systems to use the (r)syncing instead.

How does this help the problem of an overworked download server, then?
People on dial-up will get timeouts just as easily as people on broadband.

> The following thread on rsync at lists.samba.org is informative:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg07943.html

Notice how few rsync servers there are on the mirror list?  Part of the
reason is that rsync can put a much larger load on the server.  Any kind
of decompression and/or recompression will just make that worse.

--
William Hooper