Fedora Core 1 - Problem with apm suspend and halt

Gerhard Wiesinger lists at wiesinger.com
Sat Jan 10 08:14:49 UTC 2004

Hello!

I'm havind some problem with apm suspending and halt.

1.) apm suspend problem
The problem is that apm goes into suspend when I work on the
machine remotly with ssh. (At least it appears randomly to me
some minutes after reboot or minutes to hours later. So there is no
correlating time like 5 minutes or so after inactivity.)

But it is unusable in a server environment.

Network goes down and ssh connection is lost, no monitor signal available.
The Power Led blinks afterwards. After pressing a key system is up again.

Jan 10 08:36:32 xxx kernel: ehci_hcd 00:10.4: suspend to state 3
Jan 10 09:38:25 xxx kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 20, frame# 0
Jan 10 09:38:25 xxx kernel: usb-uhci.c: Host controller halted, trying
to restart.
Jan 10 09:38:25 xxx kernel: usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 20, frame# 0
Jan 10 09:38:25 xxx kernel: usb-uhci.c: Host controller halted, trying
to restart.
Jan 10 09:38:25 xxx kernel: ehci_hcd 00:10.4: resume

As you can see time is also set wrong (I found that there is a compile
time option of the kernel, but since I use local time in the BIOS it is set wrong and
confuses ntpd).

2.) halt problem
When shutting down the system with Ctrl alt del the same happens:
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -h now

-------------
Halting System
Shuttting down ide devices: hda hdd
System halted
-------------
(Harddisk is shut down but Processor is still running and it shuts not
down completly)
After pressing a key it suspends to state 3 (Power LED blinks).
ehci_hcd 00:10.4: suspend to state 3

After pressing a key again it starts again

System:
Linux xxxx 2.4.22-1.2140.nptl #1 Tue Jan 6 20:20:25 EST 2004 i686 athlon
i386 GNU/Linux
Motherboard: Epox 8KRA2+
Processor: Athlon XP Barton 2600+

ACPI is enabled in the BIOS and power saving settings are BIOS default.

Occoured with all fedora kernels, even with Redhat 9.0 on a same equipped
second machine.

Any ideas?

BTW: As far as I saw Nothbridge disconnecting is enabled by default, but
STPGNT not (both were enabled in previous kernel versions). Has something
changed here?

athcool stat
athcool version 0.3.2
 enabling/disabling Athlon Powersaving mode

VIA KT400[A] (1106 3189) found
'bus Disconnect when STPGNT detected' bit is disabled.
'VLink Auto-disconnect' bit is enabled.

Thank you for the answer.

Ciao,
Gerhard