List Problems

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Sat Jan 10 13:33:54 UTC 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 06:15:36 -0600, Jess Anderson wrote:

> Even for a true geek, the volume of this list is crushing.

It seems the initial expectation that the list would "calm down" has not
materialised. In a way that's a good thing, since it is indicative of
Fedora's popularity, but yes it is heavy going.

> It's well past the time when the various Fedora lists should be
> reorganized into such departments as announce, setup/install, security,
> development, hardware, x-windows, and so forth.

IME that just leads to more off-topic posting, since many can't seem to
(or don't bother trying to) figure out which is the appropriate list.

> In the meantime, I've found it *very* helpful to dump the emailed
> traffic to /dev/null

Probably better to turn it off in the list prefs, rather than /dev/null
it. Cuts down unnecessary .Net traffic.

> and instead read the list with my newsreader through the news.gmane.org

MeToo®

> Top-posters and thread-stealers are selfish morons.

Not always, mostly they are just ignorant. There was a recent post here
where someone asked "What is 'top posting'", and he was being serious. I
guess we can thank Microsoft (mainly) for indoctrinating an entire
generation with their warped pseudo-standards.

Stick with GMame, don't feed the trolls, and be happy.

-
K.