Backup program?

Bob Marcan bob at interstudio.homeunix.net
Sat Jan 10 14:32:12 UTC 2004

Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> Thanks to everybody who answered. I've got a lot of good advice which I am sure
> will lead me to a good solution.

What about pax?
It is part of the distribution on the RH9, Tru64, and ???

 From man pax:
The pax utility is a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'')
standard.
pax will read, write, and list the members of an archive file, and will
copy directory hierarchies.  pax operation is independent of the
specific archive format, and supports a wide variety of different
archive formats. A list of supported archive formats can be found under
the description of the -x option.
While processing a damaged archive during a read or list operation, pax
will attempt to recover from media defects and will search through the
archive to locate and process the largest number of archive members pos-
sible (see the -E option for more details on error handling).
-f archive
Specify archive as the pathname of the input or output archive,
overriding the default standard input (for list and read) or
standard output (for write).  A single archive may span multiple
files and different archive devices.  When required, pax will
prompt for the pathname of the file or device of the next volume
in the archive.

Regards, Bob
  Bob Marcan                     mailto:bob.marcan at hermes-plus.si
  Aster^H^H...HermesPlus^H^H^H...S&T
  Slandrova ul. 2                       tel:    +386 (1) 5895-200
  1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia              http://www.hermes-plus.si