Fedora + 2.6 = lockup

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Jan 10 14:41:25 UTC 2004

On Saturday 10 January 2004 11:34, Alexandre Strube wrote:

> > I had more or less the same experience with my Sony Picturebook C1VFK.
> > Curiously my WiFi card keeps flashing, but I'm not able to access the
> > laptop from another machine.
> > I wondered if it was something to do with the software suspension module
> > that I included in the config,
> > but I haven't got round to testing it without that yet.
>
> Did you tried Arjanv's redhat custom 2.6 kernels? And what about dag's
> wifi modules for it?

No, I belong to what is apparently a small minority
who are only interested in the Torvalds/Marcello kernels.
If in fact there is a bug in the 2.6.0 kernel which causes this problem
then I hope (and believe) it will be solved in the official 2.6 series.

This issue doesn't particularly concern me, as I said,
since 2.4.24 is working perfectly for me,
and I don't need anything in 2.6 but not in 2.4.

As to WiFi, the standard orinoco_cs module works perfectly for me
in both 2.4.24 and 2.6.0 (with my Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card)
so I see no point in trying non-standard wifi modules.

My philosophy generally is that Torvalds and Marcello
doubtless examine patches put forward by the Fedora developers
as by others,
and will incorporate them in the official kernel
as and when they are satisfied on their merits.
I have occasionally applied Alan Cox patches in the past,
but that is as far as I would like to go.

Incidentally, it is much easier to compile the 2.6 kernels
(than the 2.4 kernels),
particularly with the new "make xconfig" GUI interface,
so I would recommend anyone interested
to get the latest kernel from http://www.kernel.org/
and compile that.
One has to spend an hour or so, once,
going through the config options,
but if one keeps the settings -
there is a menu item for this in the 2.6 xconfig screen -
it only takes a minute to deal with new items in later kernels.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366