fedora-list digest, Vol 1 #741 - 29 msgs

Carey Jung carey at itfreedom.com
Sat Jan 10 15:09:43 UTC 2004

> On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 15:40, Carey Jung wrote:
> > >
> > 	yum install kernel-source
> > 	cd /usr/src/linux-2.4
> > 	make mrproper
> > 	cp -f configs/kernel-2.4.22-i686-smp.config .config (*)
> > 	make oldconfig
> > 	make oldconfig
> > 	make dep clean bzImage modules
>
> Haven't compiled my own kernel in a while, but what happened to make
> modules_install?

Yup, that too.  Also, if you're doing this in an automated build
environment, use the 'oldconfig_nonint' target, instead of 'oldconfig'.
'nonint' means 'non-interrupting', i.e, it will default all config options
instead of prompting you, so your build script won't hang.
'oldconfig_nonint' is, I believe, a Redhat patch to the kernel build
environment, so you won't find it in a kernel tarball from kernel.org.

Carey