SB Live! card with kernel-2.6

David Eduardo Gomez Noguera davidgn at servidor.unam.mx
Sat Jan 10 17:46:39 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 09:31, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Using the 2.4 kernel, in /etc/modules.conf there was the post/pre lines
> for aumix.  But switching to the 2.6 kernel this doesn't work, therefore
> I have lost my sound.
>
> Can I get this back with a modification or do I have to switch to alsa
> now?

well... 2.6's modprobe and stuff is supposed not to use
/etc/modules.conf, but /etc/modprobe.conf
I compiled my 2.6 kernel with alsa module support for SBLive!, and this
is my particular segment of modprobe.conf

#ALSA
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
#ossÇ/free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1;
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore

Taken from examples from the net, and from modprobe's manpage from the
new module-init.
That restores me my sound after a reboot (as alsa has it muted )
there is also a remove command, that you could use to save the mixer.